We are happy to announce the Save the Date for EvoKE 2021 meeting that will be held from the 22nd to 24th of November 2021 in Barcelona, Spain.
The EvoKE 2021 meeting will be a great open-minded, innovative, interdisciplinary and inclusive opportunity to interact and exchange experience and expertise, about the promotion of evolutionary biology literacy among researchers, educators, science communicators, journalists, and cultural and artistic agents from all across Europe and beyond. EvoKE 2021, will also offer the opportunity to learn from professionals outside the evolutionary biology field, which can help us to have a broader vision about effective communication. Our goal is to create an inclusive and interdisciplinary environment and to encourage the EvoKE community by sharing experiences, ideas, knowledge, and skills.
During the first two days of the meeting, attendants will participate in different activities comprehended in diverse topics and formats such as plenaries and short talks, round tables, and practical workshops. There will also be break-out sessions where participants can exchange their ideas on all aspects of evolutionary research, education, and outreach.
The topics for EvoKE 2021 meeting are the following:
- Interdisciplinarity, tradeoffs between specialization and explore new fields through collaboration with experts in other fields.
- Society, technology, and evolution. Contributions of basic science and evolutionary biology to address old and new practical challenges of society.
- The challenge of dealing between ideologies, interests, beliefs, and evolutionary theory.
- Challenges and opportunities to improve scientific literacy on evolution through formal or informal education.
- Special topic: Evaluating the role of literacy in evolution during the COVID-19 crisis
ODED RECHAVI, PHD
Associate Professor Department of Neurobiology,
Topic: Interdisciplinarity / Media / Evolution
“Small RNA mediated transgenerational effects in nematodes, and how it challenges our most basic assumptions regarding the limits of inheritance and evolution”.
Oded, will also share with us some of his experiences, and strategies to communicate and give visibility to his research to the different publics, what kind of challenges he faced, and how he dealt with it.
Her research interests embrace conceptual learning in Biology – focusing on devolution and energy, biology teacher education, and extended education related to Biology.
And more to be Confirmed
E 2021 meeting will also include social and cultural activities and will bring us the opportunity to build trust and get to know people in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
EvoKE BCN Evolution Day
There will be an extra day of meeting for everyone that wants to celebrate ‘Evolution Day’. A whole day with the opportunity to apply the experiences and activities we have shared from the first 2 days, by promoting evolution through outreach activities open to the general public.
In the upcoming days:
- Abstracts proposals to present your work, experience or conduct a workshop during the meeting in the previous topics call will be launched.
- Registration will be open.
- Abstracts call to propose outreach activities for the EvoKE Evolution Day will be launched.
Due to the exceptionality in which we live now, we must consider the possibility that although your participation is meant to be presential, if necessary, we would like to have the option to count with you virtually.
Looking forward to seeing you there
LCATM on behalf of the #EvoKEBCN21 Organisation Team